Root canals are designed to eliminate bacteria from the infected root canal, prevent reinfection of the tooth and save the natural tooth.
The inflamed or infected pulp of the tooth is removed, and the inside of the tooth is carefully cleaned and disinfected, then filled and sealed.
ADVANTAGES OF SAVING A NATURAL TOOTH WITH A ROOT CANAL:
- Efficient chewing
- Normal biting force/sensation
- Natural appearance
- Protects other teeth from excessive wear or strain
Following a root canal treatment, the tooth will be restored with either a crown or filling for protection and will continue to function like any other tooth.
Do I need a root canal?
If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, contact us for an appointment:
- Severe pain while chewing
- Bump or “pimple” on the gums
- Chipped or cracked tooth
- Lingering sensitivity to hot and/or cold
- Swollen or tender gums
- Deep decay